The Outlet / Lye Creek Watershed Action Plan (Download)
The Riley Creek Watershed Action Plan (Download)
|What is a Watershed Action plan?
- A watershed action plan is a comprehensive guide for improving and protecting the watershed.
- A watershed action plan includes an inventory of the watershed resources and identifies and evaluates problems within the watershed.
- The plan then details goals to protect the high quality resources and to address identified problem areas.
“Everyone lives downstream”
What are the goals for The Outlet / Lye Creek Watershed?
- Identify water quality issues and develop locally based strategies for improvement
- Conserve the watershed through promoting sustainable growth
- Enhance community ownership through watershed stewardship education and outreach
Current Water Quality Issues
Sediment and Nutrient Loading
- Agricultural and construction run-off
- Malfunctioning home sewage treatment systems
- In-stream and stream bank
- Loss of buffers in agricultural areas
- Encroachment of stream in new developments
- Changes in water quality affecting aquatic habitat
|Why is the plan locally based?
- Each watershed is unique
- Local organizations and communities know best!
- Locally based plan involves local stakeholders and empowers the community!
Watershed Planning Process
- Ongoing watershed inventory development
- Draft objectives matrix developed
- Workgroup created to write plan
- Public planning meetings
- Development of final draft
- Submittal for endorsement by OEPA, ODNR, and OSU Extension
Why do we need a WAP?
- Serves as a guide to help identify water quality issues dealing with pollutants and their sources.
- REMEMBER – Water quality at any point in a river or stream is a result of natural and human activity located upstream